- Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (.xlsm) – for the basic normal file
- Excel Binary Workbook (.xlsb) – for large files with over 1 million rows
- Excel 97-2003 Workbook (.xls) – avoid if possible. Macros can be accessed, but only up until A1:IV65536
Please note that the default (.xlsx) file type does not store macros and VBA code
All versions of Excel automatically hides access to VBA tools. To access it, follow the steps below:
- File (located in top Ribbon) > Options (located in left navigation bar) > Customize Ribbon (listed on left-hand side) > Check box the “Developer tab” > Click OK
- Go to the Developer tab; listed on the very left of the ribbon pane, you will see an icon labeled Visual Basic.